Monday 7 September 2015

Silent Maelstrom

Duke's Pass, The Trossachs.
I'm still experimenting with these. I'm really pleased with my new 6D's sensor and how it handles high ISO's. However after making all that effort to get all the children settled & sleeping and then get out of the house by a reasonable time and drive the 40mins to my destination and then hike 10mins up a trail in the dark under a fabulous canopy of stars I discovered getting close to these tall pines was difficult because they were surrounded by a chaos of blown down trees and then squeezing the tripod onto a stable base wasn't easy and then... my intervalometer didn't fit the camera! So I had to manually depress the shutter button for the 40odd 30sec exposures and hope that I wasn't being heavy-handed and shifting the camera's position too. It was surprisingly quiet with hardly any bird sounds and only one car passed on the road below in over an hour. A few shooting stars blazed and several satellites tracked stealthily across the heavens. The orange glow is still some light pollution from Glasgow which is about 22miles away as the crow flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment