Thursday 25 October 2012

we meet at last

About 10years ago I read an interesting biography of James Graham the 1st Marquess of Montrose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Montrose-Covenant-Edward-J-Cowan/dp/086241556X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350646866&sr=1-1


portrait by Willem van Honthorst
portrait by Sir Anthony Van Dyck
The cover photo was a portrait of the Marquess painted by Willem van Honthorst. I enjoyed the book so much I made a special pilgrimmage through to The Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Einburgh where the book's sleeve notes informed me the painting was. Alas when I got there an attendant told me the painting was away at another gallery on loan.




Fast forward ten years and I get to visit the gallery and yes this time they do have a painting of the Marquess of Montrose but curiously it is a different painting! This one (which I prefer) is by Sir Anthony Van Dyck



So finally I got to stare into the eyes of the man in the portrait. It didn't seem to matter that it wasn't the same portrait. Since reading that biography of him he's been a bit of a hero of mine. I like it that the house and grounds at Colzium are situated on the site of the Battle of Kilsyth- the Marquess of Montrose's "last & greatest victory".

Ishbel & Alastair with Sophie & Theo on the monument to the Battle of Kilsyth in the grounds of Colzium House








 

 I still have a small hardback edition of Buchan's biography of the man to read some day which Paul King gave me. It's meant to be good as you would expect with Buchan.






No comments:

Post a Comment