Wednesday 24 October 2012

Craigendoran Pier by Night

Headed out with the camera again last night on the promise of a clear night from the BBC Weather website. Big rucksack packed - 3 season down bag, bivvy bag, thermarest and all my camera gear-and all set to lie out in the cold on some exposed moorland and record startrail photos for a couple of hours. But immediately out the front door it was apparent that there was considerable cloud cover.
Not to be deterred I devised a plan B: Craigndoran Pier by Helensburgh.


These twin piers used to serve the steamers until 1972 when the service was closed:
"The North British Railway operated the Steam Packet Company steamers from here, from 1882. The station consisted of two through platforms on the line to Helensburgh Central, two through platforms on the West Highland Railway, and a bay platform which extended onto the pier for the steamer connections. The berths consisted of two parallel piers with four berths and a building at the landward end of the piers. The pier station facilities consisted of a single platform with a small canopy. However the sea would break over the sea wall on occasion and soak those waiting.

Following the closure of the service in 1972, the pier was used by small vessels for a number of years. Now, however, the piers are now derelict. Recently the section of pier next to the land was removed leaving the now un-decked piers as forlorn islands."

[from the Ports & Harbours of the Uk website
http://www.ports.org.uk/port.asp?id=833]

When I got there there was a group of guys standing round a fire at the shore end of the southernmost pier. Their silhouettes and cheery banter formed a timeless tableau. I started to set up my tripod and gear at the shore end of the northern pier and did become a bit apprehensive when two of the guys broke off to approach me. I proferred my standard defense in these situations: "I'm just taking pictures!" but needn't have worried. They were just asking me if I wanted to use their fire because they were all about to leave! They thought I was a fisherman.

No comments:

Post a Comment